Public Liability Frequently A...

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between public and occupiers' liability?

Public liability refers to compensation claims for injuries that arise in a public place, due to another's negligence. An common example is an injury caused from tripping over an obstacle on a footpath.

Occupiers' liability refers to compensation claims for injuries that arise in an occupied premise. A common example is an injury caused to a trades person who is carrying out work on a private property.

What do I do if I've been injured in a public place?

The first step should always be to seek medical attention. Even if the injury does not appear to be serious, there may be effects that appear later in time, and you may need a report from a medical professional if you wish to pursue a claim. If the injury is in a public place, you should report it to the relevant authorities, for example, the local police.

Finally, we recommend that you seek the advice of an experienced compensation lawyer as soon as possible, in order to ensure you don't miss an opportunity to make a claim to cover any expenses that occurred as a result of your injury.

What kind of evidence will I need to support a claim?

In order to support your claim, it is a good idea to collect as much evidence as possible. This may include photographs or diagrams of the area where you were injured and the cause of the injury. You should also collect medical evidence such as photographs of your injury and reports from health care providers. It is also a good idea to collect a report from any witnesses to your accident.

What injuries may result in a public liability claim?

Typical public liability claims arise from accidents such as slips and falls in public places such as on a footpath or in a park, or at a school or university. Injuries that occur during sporting and recreational activities are also common causes of claims. Other examples include food poisoning and defective products, animal attacks and aviation accidents.

What sort of compensation am I likely to receive?

The amount of compensation that you receive will depend on the type and extent of injuries that occur. You may be able to claim for medical expenses that arise as a result of your injuries, loss of income and pain and suffering.

How long do I have to lodge a claim?

All compensation claims have strict time limitations within which you must make your claim. If you believe you've been injured as a result of someone else's negligence, you should act as soon as possible. To help to lodge your claim in time, we advise that you talk to a professional compensation lawyer.

Call us today on 02 9708 2222 to talk to one of our experienced compensation lawyers about your claim.

Client Testimonials
Mr E.H - 9/08/2012
I am forever indebted to Thurlows Compensation Lawyers. Following a traumatic workplace injury I consulted some compensation lawyers and assumed what was being done was correct...
Full Story
Mrs S. N - 2/05/2012
Thurlow’s have been fantastic to me. My case was being handled by another compensation practice. I had no idea what was going on, how long it would take or what I might recover.....
Full Story
Mrs V. S - 27/02/2012
I was referred to Thurlows Compensation Lawyers by a friend. They were incredibly helpful and at the first consultation set out for me the procedure that would be followed, how long it would take and the likely result....
Full Story
Recent Cases 
Slip and Fall- 31/08/2012
Our client who was an elderly lady slipped on a spot of cooking oil which had leaked on the floor of a supermarket floor...
Full Story
Steroid Rage- 19/07/2012
Our client was viciously assaulted at a gymnasium when he asked another patron to allow him to use a machine at our client’s allocated time. The injuries sustained included facial bruising and a broken eye socket....
Full Story
Dental Surgery- 14/06/2012
Our client was in his sixties had cosmetic dental surgery which produced an unnatural look and did not blend with other teeth...
Full Story